GOALS AND PHILOSOPHY
- What is the philosophy of the program?
- Does it list goals for the volunteer or of the organization?
- In terms of a spiritual component, what can volunteers expect?
- Age requirements?
- Languages needed?
- Particular skills needed (teaching certification?)
- What are the service options?
- Do I have a choice of work options?
- Who makes the final selection - the organization or the placement site?
- Is there a job description?
- What are the financial costs to me?
- Will I receive a stipend?
- Who pays for housing and meals?
- Who pays transportation costs to the site, to training, back home?
- Where will I live?
- In a community of other volunteers?
- A mixed community of volunteers and religious?
- With a family?
- On my own?
- What kind of training will I receive?
- Skills training?
- Language training?
- Is there an orientation program?
- Is there any mid-service training or an end-of-service re-entry program?
- Can my student loans be suspended until completion of my term of service?
- Will the program assist with the paperwork?
- If I need to raise money, will the organization assist me?
- Are donations tax-deductible for my donors?
- What are the dates of the training program?
- When does the volunteer program end?
- Can I extend my term of service if I desire?
- What happens if I terminate my volunteer service early?
- Is the area I work in safe?
- (International: Is the political situation stable?)
- What precautions are taken?
- What resources are available to me on-site?
- What type of health insurance policy will I receive?
- Who pays for the policy?
- (International: Do I need to get a physical, a mental health check-up, immunization shots, etc.?)
- What kind of support will I receive?
- Is there a support person for each site?
- Are there people to whom I can turn if I need to talk about an experience?
- Will the volunteer program staff make site visits?
- Can you give me the names of people who have participated in your program with whom I can talk or meet?
- Do I get vacation?
- Can I travel back home for a family emergency, or for holidays?
- Who pays for an emergency trip?
- (International: can I travel back to the US? Will I need a visa to be there?)
- Any religious requirements or expectations as per spirituality (i.e. prayer, retreats, etc.)?